In the Grand Theft Auto series, missions are sometimes named to deliberately reference movies, songs, popular culture, or real life events. This page lists all known examples.
Grand Theft Auto III
- Triads and Tribulations - Trials and Tribulations
- Grand Theft Auto - Eponymous
- Grand Theft Aero - Eponymous
- Uzi Rider - Easy Rider
- Uzi Money - Easy Money
- Toyminator - Terminator
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Cop Land - Reference to a Ray Liotta movie of the same name.
- No Escape? - Reference to a Ray Liotta film of the same name.
- Keep Your Friends Close... - The line "Keeps your friends close, but your enemies closer" from The Godfather Part II.
- Psycho Killer - Song by the Talking Heads
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Body Harvest - Game released by DMA Design (former name of Rockstar North)
- Are You Going to San Fierro? - Reference to a Scott McKenzie song
- Wear Flowers in Your Hair - Ditto
- Cop Wheels - Hot Wheels
- Vertical Bird - Reference on how Hydra is an VTOL aircraft
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
- Don in 60 Seconds - Gone in 60 Seconds
- The Guns of Leone - The Guns of Navarone
- The Portland Chainsaw Masquerade - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Driving Mr. Leone - Driving Miss Daisy
- L.C. Confidential - LA Confidential
- The Passion of the Heist - Passion of the Christ
- Mo' Money, Mo' Problems - Notorious B.I.G song of the same name
- The Shoreside Redemption - The Shawshank Redemption
- Sayonara Sindaccos - Sayonara Salvatore mission from GTA III
- The Whole 9 Yardie - The Whole Nine Yards
- Crazy '69 - Crazy 88 gang from Kill Bill
- Night of the Livid Dreads - Night of the Living Dead
- Big Rumble in Little China - Big Trouble in Little China
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
- Brawn of the Dead - Dawn of the Dead
- Domo Arigato Domestoboto - The Styx song "Mr. Roboto."
Grand Theft Auto IV
- Actions Speak Louder than Words - Idiom
- I Need Your Clothes, Boots and Motorcycle - Quote from Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Weekend at Florian's - Weekend at Bernie's
- To Live and Die in Alderney - To Live and Die in L.A.
- Concrete Jungle - Bob Marley song
- The Master and the Molotov - Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita
- Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
- The Puerto Rican Connection - Parody of the film The French Connection
- Holland Nights - Parody of the film Harlem Nights
- Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend - Common saying
- A Dish Served Cold - The idiom "revenge is a dish best served cold"
The Lost and Damned
- Marta Full of Grace - Reference to a Colombian film of the same name.
- Roman's Holiday - Reference to the Audrey Hepburn film Roman Holiday.
The Ballad of Gay Tony
- For the Man Who has Everything - Superman comic.
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
- Rat Race - Song by Bob Marley
- Jackin' Chan - Jackie Chan
- Dragon Haul Z - Dragon Ball Z
- Whack the Racers - Wacky Races
- Flatliner - Flatline from GTA IV
- The Fandom Menace - Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
- Store Wars - Star Wars
- The Tow Job - Blow Job, Adult Humor
- Tricks of the Triad - Tricks of the Trade
- Natural Burn Killer - Natural Born Killers
- Carpe 'Dime - Carpe Diem, which is a Latin phrase meaning "seize the day"
- Fut Tze and Dau Jonz - FTSE 100 and Dow Jones Industrial Average, stock exchange indexes
- Wan Kee - Wanker, British profanity
- Hits from the Tong - Cypress Hill's track: "Hits From The Bong"
Grand Theft Auto V
- Dead Man Walking - Movie from 1995.
- Reuniting the Family - The mission Reuniting the Families from GTA San Andreas
- I Fought the Law... - Name of a song by Bobby Fuller Four
- The Ballad of Rocco - The Ballad of Gay Tony
Grand Theft Auto Online
The majority of missions are puns on real life movies of the same (or similar) names.
- Mall or Nothing - All or Nothing
- Death From Above - Term, when the victim is unsuspected of death, because attacker kills it from above
- Hold Up - Marion Band$' song, also used as Franklin Clinton's theme song
- It's a G Thing - Dr Dre - Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
- Funeral Party - Name of an alternative rock band
- Ballas to The Wall - Accept - Balls To The Wall
- Point and Shoot - Either a reference to point-and-shoot cameras, or to a 2014 film with the same name.
- Desperate Times Call For... - Phrase, Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures
- San Andreas Soul - Ashford & Simpson - California Soul
- Pier Pressure - Term, Peer Pressure
- No Hay Bronca - Spanish for 'No problem'
- Hit 'Em Up - 2Pac - Hit 'Em Up
- Gassed Up - Nebu Kiniza - Gassed Up
- Violent Duct - Term, Violent Conduct
- War and Pieces - Novel, War and Peace
- Chumash and Grab - Term, Smash and Grab
- It Takes a Thief - A TV Show
- Gentry Does It - Term, Gently Does It
- Blow Up - Another term for exploding something
- Romance Isn't Dead - Romance is Dead
- Base Invaders - Space Invaders
- Crystal Clear Out - Term, Crystal Clear
- Diamonds Are For Trevor - Diamonds Are Forever
- Master Data - Masturbator, Adult Humour.
- Crime Scenester - Term, Crime Scene